Nestled along the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains in Southern California, the University of La Verne is an independent, non-profit university providing rich educational opportunities for both the academic and personal development of its students in a friendly, engaged setting. The university's Cultural and Natural History Collection is located exactly between the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles and the San Bernardino County Museum, being ideally located in the San Gabriel Valley.

The Cultural and Natural History Collections at the University of La Verne, is a repository of materials donated to the University for research, teaching, and exhibition opportunities. Its collections include over 50,000 specimens and artifacts that cover over 65 million years of history.  The collection is currently not open to the public, but is available for research and education purposes. Our role as an academic repository is to conserve and preserve the objects, artifacts, and specimens entrusted to our care for the benefit of our students and the general public.

Edmund C. Jaeger Papers

Its collection of Edmund C. Jaeger’s personal and professional papers includes family correspondence, photographs, journals, handwritten corrections for his manuscripts, and, most importantly, his original 1947 field notes recorded during the time that Jaeger first discovered the common poorwill going into a hibernation-like state, known as "torpor".

James Z. Gilbert Collection

The Pleistocene specimens were collected from the famed La Brea tar pits by James Zaccheus Gilbert, who is responsible for creating the core collection at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County. Our Tar Pit materials were originally excavated during Gilbert's early years and have been stored for over a century, untouched or examined by scholars. In addition to the Pleistocene specimens, the Collections has a Condor specimen ‘’(Gymnogyps californianus)’’ taxidermied by Gilbert in 1917, as well as fossil fish specimens that he and David Starr Jordon collected at the turn of the 20th century during their research trip in Lompoc, California. 

Louisa Williamson Hutchison Basket Collection

Born in California in 1866, Louisa W. Hutchison was a prolific collector of early California Native American baskets. Her father, Nelson Williamson, was the first to homestead on the Rancho de Azusa Dalton, their home located on what is now the Santa Fe Dam. Having grown up in the San Gabriel Valley, Mrs. Hutchison was very familiar with the local Native American tribes and customs. A portion of her enormous and impressive basket collection was donated to the University of La Verne through her granddaughter in 1977.